Sunday, August 9, 2009

Song of the Week - No Myth by Michael Penn

I have 7,531 songs on iTunes. This is one of them.

Back in 1989, I was mostly listening to college radio and this song was played a lot. It was also a big top 40 hit as well. I remember that I bought a cassette single of the song, I think the only single in that format that I ever bought. Recently, I found a copy of Penn's debut album, March from which this song comes. It's a pretty good CD. Unfortunately, Penn was pretty much a one hit wonder. His subsequent releases did not do well. Two things I learned from reading his Wikipedia entry. He is Sean Penn's brother and he's married to Aiemee Mann. I found 3 videos of him performing the song live in 1989. I picked the Dave Letterman performance rather than the Arsineo Hall or MTV Unplugged versions because it's a trip to see Letterman with more hair.

No comments: