Sunday, February 22, 2009

Song of the Week - A Sunday Song by Beirut

I have 6,486 songs in iTunes. This is one of them

Beirut was featured on The Late Show with David Letterman on February 6th. This video is from that show. I really really liked this performance. Here is what Wikipedia says in their opening paragraph about the band:

Beirut was initially the solo musical project of 22-year-old Santa Fe native Zachary Francis Condon, which later evolved into a band led by Condon. Their first performances were in May 2006, to support the release of their debut album Gulag Orkestar. The music combines elements of Eastern European and folk with Western pop music. You can read the rest of it if you like here.

Since I liked the song so much I decided to buy it from iTunes. But before I did, my iTunes player played it at random. Here I've owned the song for over 2 years but it's only been played once before. I got it from Minnesota Public Radio's Song of the Day Podcast. I'm still planning to buy the rest of the album.



All I want is the best for our lives my dear,
and you know my wishes are sincere.
Whats to say for the days I cannot bare.

A Sunday smile we wore it for a while.
A Sunday mile we paused and sang.
A Sunday smile we wore it for a while.
A Sunday mile we paused and sang about
Our Sunday smile and we felt true. (and)

We burnt to the ground
left a view to admire
with buildings inside church of white.
We burnt to the ground left a grave to admire.
And as we reach for the sky, reach the church of white.

A Sunday smile we wore it for a while.
A Sunday mile we paused and sang.
A Sunday smile we wore it for a while.
A Sunday mile we paused and sang about
Our Sunday smile and we felt true.

No comments: