Sunday, January 10, 2010

Song of the Week - This Wheel's On Fire by Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger and the Trinity

I have 8,339 songs in iTunes. This is one of them.

This is a group that I really like but I think is pretty obscure. They were a British band from the late '60's. "This Wheel's On Fire" went to #5 on the British charts but didn't get much attention in the States. I'm not sure how I even know of them except that they probably got air play on the experimental FM stations in Philadelphia at the time (I'm thinking especially of WMMR). The song and the video pretty much represents British psychedelic music. When I went looking for this I was surprised that there were a number of their songs available including their remake of the Donovan classic "Season of the Witch", another pretty trippy video which looks like it came from the same session that produced the "Wheel's On Fire" video.

Brian Auger is the guy on keyboards. Both he and Driscoll went on to be involved in the experimental jazz scene in England.


1 comment:

dc said...

Great song. It also used to be the theme for a British show, riotously funny, called Absolutely Fabulous. Cool.