Tuesday, January 19, 2010

2008 SP Authentic By The Letter Signatures Geoff Jenkins

I recently purchased this card from checkoutmycards.com. I'd see the site mentioned by other bloggers so I thought I'd give it a try. They seem to have a pretty good selection of cards and the prices were reasonable.So what is this card? It contains a manufactured patch with Geoff Jenkins' autograph. The idea here is that there are 32 cards which all together spell our Geoff Jenkins Philadelphia Phillies. This card is numbered 6/50. Different letters must have different counts. Beckett says there are 1,200 of these and 50x32 is 1,600.
I know that some don't like these manufactured patch cards but I think they are kind of cool. And it does have an on-card signature although since it is signed on the fabric, the signature is hard to read. This is a good example of a card I would probably never own if not for eBay or checkoutmycards.com. According to Beckett the overall autograph odds for hobby boxes are 1:8. But I'm never going to buy a hobby box of a set like this. I don't like the base cards much. Plus there are a number of different autograph cards in the set. So even if I bought a box (and presumably got an autograph card), the odds of getting one of these are pretty high. And the odds of getting a Geoff Jenkins card must be astronomical.

The only physical objection I have to the card is it's thickness. It is much thicker than it needs to be which will make it difficult, it not impossible to get into an album page.

No comments: