Monday, January 25, 2010

My 500th post

This is my 500th post to the blog. I was hoping to do something spectacular but I'm completely devoid of ideas. But I couldn't let such a large round number go by without some comments.My first post was on February 3, 2008, so it's also almost the 2nd anniversary of the blog.
According to the hit count thing I have on the sidebar, I've had 27,146 hits since I've started. I don't really trust the counter and I know it reset itself a couple of times. Not as many hits as some baseball card blogs but since I had pretty low expectations when I started, I can't complain.
According to the followers widget, I have 37 followers. Usually when I sign up as a follower on someone's blog, I read it pretty much every day. If I had 37 people reading my blog every day I'd be pretty amazed.
More numbers. I've been collecting baseball cards since 1985, when I was 34 years old. I became a real baseball fan around 1970. For whatever reason I wasn't a big fan of sports when I was a kid. In the past 25 years or so, I've amassed 72,173 different baseball cards. Counting doubles, I have 86,539 total cards. And that's not counting most of the cards I bought last weekend at the big card show (blog posts to follow).
Another collection I feature here is my bonsai plants. I have 13 bonsai plants. 3 of these were store bought, the others I've started myself. In the past 2 years, I've lost another 4 or 5 plants which just didn't work out.
I also feature a song a week here from my song collection. I currently have 8,444 songs in iTunes. I get songs from purchased CDs, from library CDs, from recording songs from vinyl albums I own to MP3s (a tedious process), buying songs from the iTunes store, or from several song-a-day podcasts.
I'm also a avid reader. I occasionally feature a book I've read on the blog and at the end of both 2008 and 2009 I ran a long post on all the books I read for the year. I read between 50 and 60 books a year. I have a 40-minute commute to work so I like to listen to book CDs as I drive which helps keep up the total.
Well, if you've managed to get this far thanks for reading. I read once that the average blog had a readership of 1. If that's true I'm doing way better than average. I thank you each and every one that you choose to take some time out to read what I have to say. A few months ago I announced that I was going to retire from the blog but I got enough favorable comments that I decided to stick with it. I'm glad I did.

6 comments:

Collective Troll said...

Very glad you opted to NOT retire... CONGRATS on post #500!!! That is huge my friend... I will send you a comment in a couple of weeks to congratulate you on 2 years, that is likewise huge... I had never heard that the average readership is 1. That would be depressing. I know of at least 3 or 4 people who read my blog daily and that makes me very happy. I appeciate what you do here and I wish you the best of luck on 500 more... I will say that I can't believe that you know how many cards you own down to the number. For me if a box holds 600 cards and its pretty full, then I have 600 cards. I would love to know my collection that well. Heres to many more!

Play at the Plate said...

Congrats on a big milestone and I look forward to reading the next 500!

night owl said...

That is a WHOLE lot of cards. Wow!

You're a busy guy too with all of those activities. I wish I could juggle all that.

Congrats on No. 500. Cool post.

Signed,

Daily Reader
Night Owl

deal said...

Looking fwd to 500 more!

and

Go Phils!

Jim said...

Happy Quinpostennial!

Another daily reader,
Jim from The Phillies Room

Anthony K. said...

Glad you decided not to opt out of your contract and actually signed that extension.

Congrats on 500 posts.

If I owned that many cards, I am sure my wife would make me sleep on them, so that is quite the accomplishment you have there as well.