Monday, April 27, 2009

Oddball cards from Jim

Over the past few weeks I've posted a number of cards I got from JIm over at gcrl. I sent him a box of random Dodgers this morning. Hopefully he'll enjoy that as much as I enjoyed the box he sent me. All in all, over 50% of the cards he sent me were cards I didn't have. Since I've got a lot of Phillies and Astros cards, I think that's a good ratio. There were a few oddball cards in the box including these. It took some digging to figure out what they are.

This 24-card set was published by the Sports Star Publishing Company (SSPC) in 1975. The cards measure 3-9/16" by 4-1/4" and have a glossy photograph like finish.The back of the card is a puzzle which when put together reveal a black and white photograph of Nolan Ryan and Catfish Hunter. The back of the Luzinski card features Ryan's head. The back is rotated, it's not really wider than the front of the card.
The cards have no identifying information on them whatsoever. No copy write, no date, no name. One of them has the word Publishing on the back. It looks like it says Sports Star Card Publishing at the top of the b/w photo on the back.

Jim also sent this card of Dave Cash.
And this one of Cesar Cedano.
So how did I figure out what these were? I used this book.
This is a great resource for card collectors. Beckett publishes a similar book which I had purchased in 2004 but I think the Sport Collectors Digest is better. I have yet to come across a card I couldn't identify with this book.

To identify these cards I first had to figure out what year they were from. Dave Cash only played for the Phillies from 1974 to 1976 which narrowed the field down to probably 1975 to 1977. I ran down the index for 1975 cards, looking up sets which were likely candidates. The catalog includes a photo of the front and back of each card. And a full list of all the players in the set. It took me maybe 10 minutes to identify the set.

2 comments:

Steve Gierman said...

Always a handy reference!

Unknown said...

Nice article, I just ran into a full set of these...a friend's dad passed and had a HUGE collection and a lot of oddball stuff. The puzzle on the back, if you have all 24, is of Catfish Hunter and Nolan Ryan bsing. Really nice cards, just a little big.