Thursday, April 2, 2009

1996 Pinnacle Aficionado

1996 Pinnacle Aficionado

Aficionado was a one-year wonder from Pinnacle. The cards were printed on stiff white card stock. The head shot on the right was a grainy refractive foil. The cards had a pleasant odor which I learned much later was supposed to be a bubble-gum smell. Fooled me. The base cards were all horizontal. A 5-card pack cost $3.99. Although these are one of my favorite cards from 1996, I only bought 2 packs at the time.
I only know of this one subset, Global Reach. The background of the front is similar to the foil used on the base cards.
I also have a checklist card.
1996 Pinnacle Aficionado Rivals
Rivals was a 32-card set inserted at 1:24 packs. I purchased this on eBay in September 2004 for $3.00. It's an attractive card. The background is refractive foil.

1996 Pinnacle Aficionado Slick Picks
Slick Picks was also a 32-card set, inserted at 1:10 packs. I paid $3.00 for this on ebay in September 2004.

As did all the Score/Pinnacle cards in 1996, there was an Artist's Proof parallel set (inserted 1:35), and there was one other insert set, Magic Numbers, inserted at 1:72. I just bought one of each of these on eBay.

2 comments:

Wax Heaven said...

Very nice review! I love all things Pinnacle.

Steve Gierman said...

Nice job! I love the one card I have from this set. I had no idea about the subset or the inserts.