Friday, November 7, 2008

Package from Steve

Way back in February when I first discovered baseball cards, The White Sox Cards Bog run by Steve was one of the first blogs I read regularly. I also made my first internet trade with Steve. Nowadays I help him edit the Things Done To Cards Blog. Steve and I were hoping for a White Sox-Phillies World Series but it wasn't to be. But being the great guy he is, Steve sent me some Phillies cards to help me celebrate the Phillies winning me the World Series.

Steve managed to find some 1991 Phillies cards that I don't own. These were from several sets produced by Classic Games. On the back of the cards is a trivia contest game. These were produced from about 1987 to 1992. I remember buying the 1990 version as a complete set which came in a blister pack along with a game board and spinner. I've lost the board and spinner and don't remember at all how the game was played. In 1991, they produced two updates. I had several cards from the first update set, but only one Phillie. Now I have 4 Phillies. And this Pat Combs card is from the second update set of which I had no cards at all. So this lowly Pat Combs card gets a special place in my binders as the representative card of this set.
The back is a lurid pink color. One of the trivia questions is "In what inning do the fans traditionally stretch their legs?" Personally, I think this question would be better if it read "What do fans traditionally stretch in the 7th inning?"
One of the other cards he sent was this 2007 Topps Co-Signers. This is a set which doesn't get sold in blaster boxes so I don't get many of them. In fact, I only have one card (Lance Berkman) from the 2007 set. Now I also have a Phillie from the set. And since its a Rookie Card, it too is a representative card.

Thanks, Steve. Next year, Phillies-White Sox in the World Series. Maybe the Phillies can get revenge for the White Sox beating the Astros in 2005.

1 comment:

Steve Gierman said...

Anything is possible when the World Series starts. I'm glad I could send over some cards that you didn't have.