Saturday, November 8, 2008

A package from another Steve

Steve, from a fairly new blog The Easy Life, out of a clear blue sky sent me some 1987 Topps cards that I needed. Among them was this gem, Barry Bonds rookie card and easily the best card in the set. Steve hasn't given me a hint of what he'd like in return so I'll be hanging out at his blog to get some clues as to what he collects.

Speaking of 1987 Topps cards, after getting 3 cards from Steve, it was looking like I only needed 2 more for the complete set. WRONG. I don't know where my head was at when I originally compiled my list but it was wrong. I like to think I real organized when it comes to my collecting. I've got every card I own in a database. I had generated the list from the database. Looking at it now it looks like there are still another 50 or so cards I need. I'll be update the list soon.
In addition to the 1987 cards, Steve sent me the gem above. Its a 1993 Upper Deck All-Time Heroes card. The card is 5 1/4 inches long and 2 1/4 inches high. It is patterned on the T202 Hassan Triple Folders (according to the catalog I used for reference). Certainly, you've seen reproductions of the right side of the card. The player is Del Ennis who played for the Phillies from 1946 to 1956. Only two other Phillies (Johnny Callison and Robin Roberts) are included in the 165 card set. The cards were distributed in 12-card packs. Production was limited to 5,140 numbered cases. If there were 20 packs in a box, and 10 boxes in a case that would be about a million sets.
This card above I already had but deserves some discussion. It is from the 2007 Topps Update set. I've written about these Classic Combo cards before. Like many of them I don't see how Chase Utley and Ichiro make a Combo, much less a Classic Combo. And what seems to be happening in this photograph? I'd guess that Ichiro was coasting into 2nd base after being out on an easy force play. But when? The Mariners played three games in Philadelphia in June of 2003. Chase Utley was on the team then but in a limited role and did not play in any of these games. The Phillies next played the Mariners in 2005, but these games were in Seattle. The Phillies and Mariners haven't played since. Its possible that this is at the 2006 All-Star game. It was in an NL park. Ichiro had 3 at-bats. He struck out, flied out to RF and ground out SS to 1B. The game was played in PNC Park. Does anyone recognize the background?

3 comments:

night owl said...

I'm pretty sure it's PNC Park in Pittsburgh during the 2006 All-Star Game. Both those guys were starters and Ichiro's in the road uni and Utley in the home uni. So it all makes sense. I don't quite recognize the background, but it sort of looks like the Pittsburgh park. ... I've got to send you an email. I've got '87s I wouldn't mind unloading.

deal said...

I am thinking it is in SF 2007. The brick in the back looks like it might be that wall in RF. Ichiro had a couple of singles in that gm while Utley was at 2b. The UH set doesn't come out till the end of the season so the pictures would have been available.

capewood said...

2007 sounds likely. Ichiro was out at second on a double play in the game. He was also the MVP of that game. I'd completely forgotten the inside-the-parker he hit.

From on-line photos of both parks, I'd say it doesn't really look like either park, but the pictures weren't real suitable for comparing with the card.