Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Topps 2010 Baseball Value Pack

Last weekend we were at WalMart doing our monthly grocery run. I can never go in there without looking at the baseball cards. There wasn't anything new (just where are those Bowman Draft Picks blasters?) but there was this: A 2010 Baseball Value Box. With 40% MORE VALUE.In the box were 6, 12-card packs of Topps Series 2 and one pack of 2010 Allen & Ginter. Also promised was a Topps Million Card Giveaway card and a WalMart Exclusive Chrome Card as shown on the back.
You would absolutely get one of these three cards, Ripkin, Strasburg or Ruth. I figured this was my last chance to get a Strasburg card before he has possibly career ending Tommy John surgery. No such luck, I got the Babe. But I'm not sneering at the Babe.
I'm not quite sure where they were getting the 40% MORE VALUE from. I paid about 18 cents/per card. The Topps Series 2 cards I've bought were about $0.20/card. The Allen & Ginter have been closer to 40 cents. This doesn't work out to 40% MORE VALUE unless the Ruth card is worth big bucks, which I doubt. Of the 62 Topps cards, I only got about 15 I didn't already have. I needed 3 of the 6 A&G cards. I haven't had a single post about the Topps Million Card Giveaway. There have been plenty of other blogger posts and, besides, I wasn't very impressed by what I had gotten. Here's what came in the Value Box:
A very young John Smoltz, 1992 Topps, of which I have 2 of these. Oh, well.

No comments: