Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Fairfield Repack - 2

I posted the first part of a review of a box of repackaged cards from The Fairfield Company. I was attracted to the box because showing were 4 pretty good packs of cards: 2007 Bowman, 2007 Artifacts, 2005 Skybox Artifacts, and 2005 Donruss Leather & Lumber. I already posted the 2007 cards. I'll post the 'bonus' cards from the box is a few days.

2005 Skybox Autographics

2005 was Fleer's last independent (independent from Upper Deck anyway) year. Fleer produced 10 sets in 2005. It was the 2nd and last year for Skybox Autographs. Right off the bat we get:
#5 Chipper Jones

You can't have too many Chipper Jones cards. And I didn't have this one.

#39 Alex Rodriguez
#59 Bobby Abreu
#58 David Ortiz
# 19 - Travis Hafner.
Pretty good pack and I didn't have any of the cards. Abreu is a Phillie on this card and I didn't have any Phillies from this set.

2005 Donruss Leather & Lumber

2005 was the last year that Donruss produced baseball cards before Major League Baseball pulled their license. There were about 18 Donruss sets in 2005. Donruss was the king of parallel inserts and everyone of their sets had multiple parallels. It was impossible to keep up with them. It may have been responsible on Donruss losing their license. MLB said they wanted to cut down on the number of cards produced. Dropping Donruss would sure do that. What did I get?

#88 Lyle Overbay
#46 Geoff Jenkins
#111 Rafael Furcal
#124 Shawn Green
#138 Brooks Robinson

The Robinson card is part of a subset of Retired players. I didn't have one of these so I'm happy with it but the rest of the pack is a disappointment. Brooks Robinson, of course, was the great third baseman of the Orioles from 1955 to 1977. Some say he was the greatest third baseman ever. I'll concede he was the best third baseman in the American League. I'm sort of partial to Mike Schmidt of the Phillies as the best of all time.

2 comments:

Dinged Corners said...

Cliff,
Neil Young was on Letterman last night, and he's also been on Charlie Rose. He's truly great.
Patricia

capewood said...

Thanks, I heard he was going to be on Letterman but not what day. I've got it on the DVR. I didn't know about the Charlie Rose appearance.