Monday, May 12, 2014

Cards from Baseball Dad

This was a weird trade. Jack, the Baseball Dad, is also a Facebook friend. A few months ago I posted that I was at the Houston Hobby Center for a performance of "The Wizard of Oz" musical and posted a photo of the program. Jack commented and asked if I could get a copy of the program for his wife. Since I was still at the show, this was no problem. I sent him the program along with a bunch of Indians cards.  He sent me back a bunch of Phillies cards, well more than half were cards I needed. And some of them were exceptional.

2004 Topps Pristine #7 Billy Wagner
This is a set I never see for sale anywhere so I rarely buy any of it. I didn't have a single card from the 2004 issue. So a double hit, a Phillie I didn't have and a set I didn't have any of.

2006 Upper Deck Special Effects Purple #737 Aaron Fultz
This was an Upper Deck parallel set, similar to Topps Chrome. I had a couple of the base cards and 2 of the Green parallel. This is from the Purple parallel, numbered to 150.

1965 Topps Embossed Inserts #34 Jack Baldschun
Here's a card I didn't even know I needed. These cards were an insert to the 1965 Topps set. Inserts were pretty rare in those days. Except for the centering, the card is in great shape. But I'm not quibbling over the condition. I love this card.

1989 Pacific Legends II #187 Elmer Valo
This is a set I've never heard of. The back of the card says Valo was born in Ribnik, Czechoslovakia in 1921. baseball-reference.com says he was born in Rybnik, Poland. I suppose there have been a lot of changes in that part of the world since 1921. This guy played parts of 2 seasons of his 20-year career for the Phillies. Good enough to get him elected to the Phillies Wall of Fame in 1990.

1993 Hostess Twinkies #4 John Kruk

I had the Astro (Jeff Bagwell) from the set, now I have the Phillie.

2000 Pacific Ornaments #14 Scott Rolen
I think this is my favorite, a Scott Rolen Christmas ornament! It's die cut and the front is full of holographic foil goodness.

In addition to the Phillies cards, Jack also checked out my 2004 Topps Cracker Jacks want list and filled 5 missing slots. I haven't added a card since October 2011. Thanks, Jack!

No comments: