Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Random Cards From My Collection #57

Card #23804
2001 Bowman Draft Picks #68 Jason Lane
Comments on the card: Overall not a bad design but I never liked the way Bowman put the facsimile autos on their sets. This year wasn't too bad but some years the frosted auto area covered close to a third of the card.
How/When acquired: Paid $0.34/card for a factory set in Nov. 2001.

Card #4397
1998 Ultra Top 30 #7 Mark McGwire
Comments on the card: This was a 30-card set which came one card per pack of Series II 1998 Ultra. Not too hard to collect although I was never much of a fan of Ultra after the first few years.
How/When acquired: Don't know, but I probably got it new in a pack of Ultra.

Card #33496
1967 Topps #37 Rick Wise
Comments on the card: Looks like a posed action shot at spring training. The card front is in pretty good shape although it is horribly off-center. I'm not sure what happened to the back.
How/When acquired: Paid $1.80 at a card show in Houston in June 2012. I was happy to get it at that price.

Card #31802
1992 Pinnacle Rookies #20 Donovan Osborne
Comments on the card: This was a nice looking 30-card set featuring the top rookies of 1992. It was only available as a boxed set. 180,000 sets were produced. Osborne was the Cardinals #1 pick in 1990, and although he had a 9-year career he did not achieve stardom.
How/When acquired: Paid $3.99 for the entire set, unopened, in the original box, on eBay in Feb. 2012.

Card #31983
2012 Topps Heritage #177 Evan Longoria
Comments on the card: Topps Heritage, not much to say about it.
How/When acquired: Paid $0.36 for this in a rack-pack in March 2012.

Card #7288
1992 Topps Mcdonald's Baseball's Best #18 Will Clark
Comments on the card: In my opinion one of the last great sets available with a food product. The 44-card set was doled out 3 cards at a time with a food purchase at McDonald's.
How/When acquired: I'm still trying to lose the weight I gained trying to complete this set in 1992. I got all but one of the set that way.

Card #35131
2006 Hero Decks Phillies Jim Bunning
Comments on the card: I love this set of playing cards. Each of the 52 cards features a caricature of a different Phillies player.
How/When acquired: I bought the entire set at a sporting goods store in Philadelphia in 2010 when I was visiting there. I don't remember what I paid but it was probably around $10.

Card #43051
2000 Ultra #108 Troy Glaus
Comments on the card: Pretty typical Ultra design from the period although a little less ornate than most. I think I'd probably prefer a natural background on the back but then it wouldn't be Ultra.
How/When acquired: Don't know.

Card #31618
1992 Donruss #369 Brett Butler
Comments on the card: One of my favorite Donruss designs featuring one of my favorite players. Most Butler cards feature him either stealing a base or bunting, both strengths of his.
How/When acquired: Don't know.

Card #7412
1995 Fleer #351 Marquis Grissom

Comments on the card: In a decade of weird designs, 1995 Fleer was perhaps the weirdest. The set featured 5 different designs, each one odder than the last. The backs were nice.
How/When acquired: Don't know.

No comments: