Friday, March 21, 2014

2014 Donruss - The Inserts Part 1

I'm not feeling the love out there for 2014 Donruss. But I bought a hobby box of this stuff and I've got posts to get out. I promise only one more, sometime next week.

Donruss Press Proof Silver
Donruss/Pinnacle pretty much were the kings of parallel sets. Panini, in reviving the brand has, so far, kept this under control. This sort of thing, Press Proofs, Artist's Proofs, 1st Day Issue and similar ideas were all the rage in the late 1990s. Somehow, this card is made more desirable by foil stamping it "Press Proof" and serial numbering it to 199. The backs look exactly the same as the base set.

Donruss Press Proof Gold
Gold foil and numbered to 99.

Donruss Team MVP
Another borrowed design from the '80s, this time from 1989 Donruss. The "MVP" logo is also from that time frame.

Donruss Signatures
The box promised three hits - two autographed cards and a memorabilia card. Here's the other auto.
There are 50 of these in the set. I'm not too excited about the two I got. Poor photographs, a horrible orange and yellow color scheme and sticker autos. What's to love?

As for the memorabilia card, that was a no-show. I went on Panini's web site and found out how to make a complaint, which I did. I'm curious as to how responsive they will be. I'll keep you posted.

Donruss Elite Dominator
Not a bad looking shiny card based on another ancient Donruss set which I'm too lazy to look up. These are numbered to 999. I also got the Curt Schilling card from the 30-card set. I'm showing this one because the scan looks better.

Donruss Hall Worthy
I don't remember a specific past Donruss set like this but it's a fairly unoriginal idea. I can't argue with the idea of Roy Halladay eventually being in the Hall of Fame, but I suspect he'll go in as a Blue Jay, not a Phillie. I got two of these (the other Johan Santana). These are ugly.

Donruss The Rookies
The last one for today. In the mid to late '80s, "The Rookies" was a separate set, sold in a playing card sized box. They had the same design as the base set of that year but with a different border color. For this, Panini borrowed from one of the unattractive sets ever, 1988 Donruss.

No comments: