Thursday, August 29, 2013

250-card Farimont Cube

I mentioned the other day that I was going to get several posts from the 250-card Fairmont repack cube.  Here's # 3. First off, there were a lot of nice cards in this cube, and a lot of cards I didn't have. Of the 250 cards, about 150 are going into the collection.  In this post, I'm going to focus on some of the more odd-ball cards.

1986 Fleer Sluggers/Pitchers #17 Kent Hrbek
I had 2 cards from this 44-card set already (one of Mike Schmidt). This set was sold in a flip-top box in department stores. Fleer and Topps produced a lot of sets like this in the mid to late 1980s. Half the set were sluggers, the other half were pitchers.

1987 Nestle Dream Team #27 Roberto Clemento
This was a nice find. The 34-card (including a checklist card) set was produced by Topps. Cards could be found in Nestle candy and by a mail-in redemption. According to Beckett, the set was subdivided into 11-card subsets, depicting different eras in baseball. Im not sure when the Nestle "Modern Era" started considering that Clemente had been dead for 15 years when this set was issued.

1990 Topps Ames All Stars #28 Eric Davis
This is not an uncommon set to find in repacks. I've already got more than half the 33-card set from repacks. The card front has a heavy gloss. As you may have guessed these were available in Ames Department Stores. These stores were not located where I grew up in Philadelphia.

1990 Starline Long John Silver #6 Wade Boggs
You'd be hard-pressed to associate this set with the Long John's Silvers fast food chain since the store is not mentioned on the front or back. You could get a 5-card pack with the purchase of a food item at Long John Silver's. There are 40 cards in the set. I now have 3 of these and it looks like the National League cards are red and the AL cards are blue.

1995 Donruss Top of the Order #221 John Smiley
Yet another attempt to make a card game out of baseball cards. This was a 360-card set. It came in a 80-card  box with booster backs.

1997 UD3 #28 Ivan Rodriguez
I don't know to much about this 60-card set from Upper deck. I only have 3 cards from it, all acquired from repacks. Two of the cards I have look like this one with a gorgeous multi-colored foil finish. The other one has a sort of wood grain finish with a clear plastic insert.

1998 Pacific Online #275 Brian Hunder
By the first time I ever saw one of these cards, Pacific was defunct and so was the web site.

2007 Tristar Prospects Plus #97 Travis Snider
Not so much an odd-ball set as a minor-league set, I feature it here because Snider played for one of my favorite named minor league teams, the Lansing Lugnuts. I have a team cap I bought a few years on eBay.

1 comment:

Hardball Crazy (Derek) said...

I live in Lansing and go to a few games a year. I am proud to have the Lugnuts as my hometown team with such a peculiar name.