Friday, August 30, 2013

1976 Topps Star Trek Cards

I'm not the world's biggest Star Trek fan, but I am a fan of all incarnations of the show, going back to the original series first aired in 1966.  I don't collect a lot of Trek memorabilia but will buy stuff that interests me when I come across it. Plus, anything Stat Trek is a good fallback for my family (especially my daughter) when birthdays and Father's Day rolls around.

I saw an article on 1976 Topps Star Trek cards on IO9.com. I'd never heard of them before.  I had to have a few so turned to eBay. Quite a lot of them are for sale and they are not real cheap. An unopened back goes for $40-$50.

I managed to find three cards from the same seller that looked interesting. Outside of the fact that all three of them are off-center, they are in good shape with nice hard corners and no markings.

"The Trouble With Tribbles" is one of the most popular shows from the original series. Here's Captain Kirk surrounded by dead tribbles. Scotty gets the last line in this episode when he tells Kirk that he transported all the remaining live tribbles to the Klingon ship "Where they'll be no tribble at all".

There are 88 cards in the set and there were 76 original episodes. I wonder if there is a card per show.  In this episode, Kirk finally gets the upper hand on the guy in the rubber lizard suit by mixing up a batch of gunpowder from stuff laying around on the ground. As a civilized man he refused to kill the Gorn even when goaded on by the Metron.

Another very popular episode, featuring the "evil" Spock from an alternative universe.

No comments: