Sunday, July 14, 2013

Song of the Week - Speedbreaker by Claire Hamill

Claire Hamill is an obscure British singer-songwriter whose career flourished briefly in the early 1970s. I am not at all sure how I heard of her but I own two of her albums, 1973's October and 1974's Stage Door Johnnies which was produced by The Kink's Ray Davies. Both are wonderful albums in my opinion. I literally wore out my copy of October. In this day and age of CDs and MP3s I'd quite forgotten about her until something reminded me of her early last year. I found October on the iTunes store and bought it. "Speedbreaker" was my favorite song on the album.

Here's how apparently obscure this record is, I couldn't find an image of the original cover art through Google.  This is the only image I could find and it is actually the back of the album.  The iTunes store doesn't have the original cover art either. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this. You may compare her to Kate Bush. Very similar vocal styles.


1 comment:

Frank Musick said...

Cliff, look her up on Youtube...Quite an ecletic collection.