Tuesday, July 2, 2013

1950 Bowman Phillies

I posted some earlier Bowman Phillies cards that I acquired at a local baseball card show back in March. I had planned to post the 1950 cards but didn't get around to it. I was back at this show yesterday and picked up some more.

1950 Bowman #30 Eddie Waitkus
I paid $6.00 for this in March. Cards in similar condition are going for over $10 (with postage) on eBay. This isn't in real good shape. It's not centered well and has a crease. On the other hand it doesn't have any paper loss and the color is good. You all know that Waitkus was the inspiration for the novel "The Natural" later made into a movie with Robert Redford.  He came to the Phillies in a trade with the Cubs in 1948.

1950 Bowman #67 Willie Jones
Also $6 in March. The worst looking card of the lot with creases and stains on the back. When I scan cards from the 1990s, I often correct the color as the whites have generally yellowed some. On a card this old, I don't do any Photoshopping. Willie was called "Puddin' Head" and was a fan favorite. He was an original Whiz Kid and played with the Phillies until 1959.


1950 Bowman #68 Curt Simmons
Also $6.00 in March. Another original Whiz Kid, Simmons pitched 13 years with the Phillies (and 20 years overall). The card back mentions that the Phillies signed him with a big bonus in 1947. I wonder what was considered a big bonus then? According to baseball-reference.com, his salary in 1948 was $7, 500.

1950 Bowman #120 John Thompson
The next three cards were bought this past weekend. I got them from the same guy. His prices were lower Sunday. I paid $4.50 for this. From and edges and color standpoint, one of the better ones I bought. But it's got some paper loss on the front.  Notice he played for the Toronto Maple Leafs. They were an AAA club affiliated with the Phillies in the early 1950s.

1950 Bowman #177 Hank Borowy
Also $4.50. The Phillies got him from the Cubs in 1947 with Waitkus. I like the backgrounds on some of these cards. That fence in the background makes it look like he's pitching in my backyard, about to unleash a fast ball at my back door from about 10 feet.  This is the best looking of the 6.

1950 Bowman #205 Mike Goliat
Only $3 for this one. Mike is apparently enjoying a party on someone's back porch. He was the Whiz Kids second baseman.

No comments: