Monday, May 7, 2012

2012 Topps Gypsy Queen Hobby Box

OK, this will probably be my last Gypsy Queen post. I got my hobby box a week or so ago. Between the blaster, the rack pack and the hobby box I'm pleased with the overall selection of cards. By the way I count, there are 31 different cards in the set (counting the base, the base parallels, the inserts, the insert parallels, the relic and the auto cards). I've pulled all but 10 of these and the ones I'm missing are the most difficult to get. I've priced some of these on eBay and probably won't be chasing too many of them. I did buy a Gypsy Kings card on eBay which is at the end of the post.

I managed to avoid a large number of duplicate cards. I've got 177 out of 300 base cards. I'm not a set collector so that's plenty. I know full well, if I buy another blaster or two, I'll get mostly duplicates. If I go through with another Summer Clearance trade this year, the Gypsy Queen dups will be available.

I managed to pull a few more of the short print cards, so now I have a few of the short print/regular print pairs. For example, here's the regular print Carlos Gonzalez:
and here's the short print:
I don't know how "short" the short prints are but since there are 50 of them, the odds of getting any one of them is pretty good, I think. I had pulled the Mike Schmidt short print from the blaster and pulled the regular print, and another short print from the hobby box. Here's the regular print:
I managed to pull most, if not all of the Phillies. Oddly enough, I didn't get a single Astro.

I pulled two of the Topps Gypsy Queen Blue Framed Paper parallels. These are numbered to 599. Here's the Babe Ruth card.
I had the green mini parallel and pulled a black mini Tony Gwynn
and a sepia Ryan Braun
These are numbered to 99. Three of the inserts have mini parallels
Topps Gypsy Queen Mini Glove Stories
Topps Gypsy Queen Mini Moonshots
And I couldn't be happier with the Howard Ryan mini. And finally, Topps Gypsy Queen Mini Sliding Stars
I already had the full sized version of Reyes.

The box promised 4 hits (relic, or auto).
Topps Gypsy Queen Relics
I had pulled one of these from the blaster but this is a home jersey and the other was an away.

Topps Gypsy Queen Framed Mini Relics
I kinda wish I gotten a mini auto as these seem to be getting a much higher price on eBay than the mini relics.

Topps Gypsy Queen Autographs
An on-card auto, very nice. For some reason the backs of the autos are much yellower than the base cards.

And finally, Topps Gypsy Queen Autographed Relics
On-card auto, relic, serial numbered to 25. I'll say this is the best hit I pulled.

I never even saw any of the "Gypsy Queen" inserts from last year so I don't know how ridiculous they were. Here's the Gypsy Kings card I bought on eBay. It's plenty ridiculous.



No comments: