Thursday, April 28, 2011

Best Repack Box Ever - Part 3 The Keepers

One more dip into that Fairfield box I've been featuring. Here are just a handful of the cards I'll be keeping.

1989 Upper Deck #280 John "Lady, I'm not an athlete, I'm a ballplayer" KrukI own 235 cards from the 800-card 1989 Upper Deck set. I think I've acquired most of them through repacks. I remember seeing the boxed set for sale around Christmas time in 1989 for $50. My brother (who started collecting cards around 1980) and I were amazed. Who would pay $50 for a set of baseball cards? I wish I'd bought two.

2009 Upper Deck #45 Diasuke Matsuzake
I didn't care a whole lot for the 2009 Upper Deck but there was a pack of it in the box. Dice-K is a player I collect and I didn't have this card.

1980 Topps#306 Denny Walling

1980 Topps holds a special place in my heart because the Phillies won their first ever World Series in 1980. To get there they had to first defeat the Astros in the NLCS. Danny only had 1 hit in 9 at-bats, a two-run single. You gotta love those old Astros unis.

1989 Upper Deck #255 George Bell
It looks like George got all of a mile-high pop up in this photo.

1989 Fleer #82 Oil Can Boyd
1989 Fleer was not a particularly attractive card, but I collect Oil Can Boyd and didn't have this card. Perhaps not the greatest pitcher to have ever lived, but he was (and still is) a colorful figure. Apparently his nickname comes from his beer drinking days back in his home town of Meridian MS, where beer is known as "oil".

1986 Fleer Stickers #56 Willie Hernandez
When I started collecting I was pretty much a Topps snob and didn't bother with other brands. If I ever saw Fleer Stickers for sale I never bought them. I have a few of these from other years but this is the first one I have from 1986.

1990 Swell Baseball Greats Bob Skinner
4 of the 5 cards I have from this 136-card set are Phillies. The set doesn't seem to be over loaded with Phillies even though Swell was made by the Philadelphia Chewing Gum Company. Bob Skinner was a pretty good player in the 1950s but not with the Phillies. He spent most of his 12-year career with the Pirates. He was the Phillies manager for parts of 1968 and 1969.

2008 Topps Allen & Ginter Luke Scott
I think this is the first loose Allen & Ginter card I've gotten in a repack.

No comments: