Monday, November 9, 2009

Random Greg Maddux Cards

Last week I stopped into the card shop near where I work for a few quick hits. I like browsing through the loose singles. I'll look through the cards of a player I like hoping to see something I think I don't have. And if it's a card I don't have any of, even better. So last week I was looking at the Greg Maddux cards and came up with these.
2004 Diamond Kings (#113). I really, really like this set. So much so that I bought a box of it in 2004. I was pretty sure I didn't have this Maddux because I thought I'd remember the goofy pose. And I was right, I didn't have it.
1999 Topps Gallery (#9). I don't have many cards from this set and I was pretty sure I'd remember this card. It's hard to figure out what's going on here. The other player is Kevin Polcovich a middle infielder for the Pirates at the time. I'm assuming the base is 2nd base. Did Greg hit a double? Did he steal 2nd? Was a pitcher trying to pick him off? He did hit 3 doubles in 1998 (assuming the picture is from 1998) but stole no bases. If I had more time I could probably figure this out from the baseball-reference.com box scores.
1997 Sports Illustrated (#173). Fleer produced the Sports Illustrated sets from 1997 through 1999. I have a pretty good selection of base cards, subset cards and inserts from the 1998 and 1999 years, but I only had one base card and no subset or insert cards from the 1997 set. This Maddux card is a subset card featuring SI covers. I particularly like the teaser "Greg Maddux Makes History As the Best Righthander Since...(See Page 22)". This card goes in the reference binder.
1997 SP Special FX (#6 of 47). The scan cannot convey the holographic goodness of this card. You can see the disembodied head of Greg Maddux in the center diamond. The head turns from side to side as you turn the card. When you turn the card to the right, his smile turns to a frown. The card is also die cut on all four sides. But what you can't see is that the entire background is a hologram of floating SP logos. Another card for the reference binder.

No comments: