Thursday, January 29, 2009

Movie of the Week - Ink Heart

Ink Heart is based on a children's book of the same name. My daughter, our resident children's literature expert, loved the book and convinced us to see the movie.

The story is about a man, named Mo (Brendon Fraser) who is a "Silver Tongue". When he reads aloud from a story, characters or items from the story appear in the real world and, the logic was a little fuzzy here, someone from the real world ends up in the book. 9 years ago, Mo was reading aloud to his daughter and his wife from a fantasy book. He unleashed some unsavory characters from the book and his wife ended up in the book.Mo and his daughter have been wandering the world, hiding from the unsavory characters, and looking for a copy of the book so he can free his wife.

My daughter said that the movie wasn't very much like the book but she liked it anyway. My wife and I liked it as well. I'd recommend it if you like that sort of thing. I think it would be a great movie for kids, even as young as 7 or 8. It might be a little scary in parts but Harry Potter type scary rather than Saw III scary.

Oh, and speaking of Harry Potter, the Half-Blood Prince movie comes out in July. I haven't read the book but from the trailer I can tell you I have no idea what it's about.

No comments: