Thursday, January 8, 2009

First eBay purchases of 2009

2003 Topps Heritage Chase Utley

As I was putting away the Phillies cards I acquired in 2008, I realized that I didn't have any Chase Utley cards from his rookie season in 2003. I found this in eBay for $3.00 (including postage). In addition to being Chase Utley, it's the only 2003 Phillies Topps Heritage card I have. I didn't buy much 2003 Topps Heritage (only 4-5 packs). I like the cards so I'm not sure why I didn't buy more.2008 Donruss Threads Bats Mike Schmidt

I had acquired some of the Donruss Threads base cards, including the Schmidt card as shown here. This is a variation on the Mike Schmidt card with a piece of game used bat. The front of the card is a bit fancier then the base card. The silver foil is refractive. The card is also pretty thick. I'm a sucker for Mike Schmid relic cards. I own 25 of them now. This set me back less than $10.
2008 Donruss Sports Legends Mike Schmidt

Another unlicensed product from Donruss. The base set has 144 cards, of which 28 are baseball players. There are 37 inserts to this set, either parallels of the base set or materials and/or signature cards and their parallels. I think Donruss has had some nice sets in recent years but, in my opinion, Donruss is the essences of hobby bloatedness. For example, I love the 2004 Donruss Diamond Kings set. But what a complicated mess for collectors. There are 105 different inserts, almost all of which are variations on the 175-card base set. See my post on this set on Things Done To Cards. Donruss has just gotten back to baseball cards and I'm starting to hate them already.
But this is a Mike Schmidt card and I had to have it.

No comments: