Monday, July 13, 2015

2015 Stadium Club - First Card

I got my hobby box of 2015 Stadium Club last Saturday. Even though I'm in the middle of cataloging the Topps Series 2 cards I just bought, I had to open the box immediately. When it comes to baseball cards, I'm like a 10-year-old.

This is the first card out of the first pack I opened. I'll have more later.

First impressions:

The cards are thicker than last year and have a nicer gloss. In fact the back of the card is glossier than the front of 2014 Stadium Club. I expect a premium card, for which I paid a premium price, to feel like a premium card.

Last year's hobby box had 90 cards for $0.80/card. This year's box has 128 cards for $0.60/card. Considering the upgraded quality, this year's card is a much better value than last year's. I, of course, opened every back for a quick look. As far as I can tell I got no duplicates.

I like a minimal design on a full bleed card. Last year's was a nice design, this year's is better. The foil lettering is easy to read and doesn't distract from the photo at all.

The card backs are also better than last year. The text is easier to read, the head shot photo is a bit larger, and the finish is better.

There are no team logos on the card, front or back where 2014 had 2 team logos on the back. I like to see a team logo somewhere on the card other than the player's uniform.

The set has been expanded from 200 cards to 300 cards. I have no complaint with that.

There is a retail release this year. I've seen blaster boxes for sale on eBay but haven't seen them in the stores as yet. I like the cards enough that I'll probably buy a couple of blasters.

2 comments:

JediJeff said...

"When it comes to baseball cards, I'm like a 10-year-old."

So is every other one of us with a blog. :)

Adam Kaningher said...

Whoa, that's a Coors Field card! I'll have to track one down for my frankenset.