Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Random Cards from My Collection #56

OK, I've got to get some baseball card blogging done.

Card # 33619
2012 Topps #489 Andres Torres

Comments on the card: In 2013, Topps had the "Out of Bounds" gimmick, featuring players making a catch up against a wall. Maybe they got the idea from this 2012 card.
How/When acquired: Paid $0.23/card for 2 10-blasters of Topps Series 2 in June.

Card #37604
1989 Donruss Puzzle Warren Spahn
Comments on the card: Topps had gum, Fleer had stickers and Donruss had puzzles.
How/When acquired: I got this in a 14-pack Fairfield repack for $0.14/card in January 2013. Speaking of repacks, fellow blogger, The Night Owl, did a nice post on why he loves repacks here. I pretty much agree with him.

Card #33003
2012 Bowman Chrome Prospects #86 Gerrit Cole
Comments on the card: 2012 was the year when Topps made a substantial change in the design of their Bowman set. After untold years they abandoned the red/blue/or green and black motif.  At least the front. The backs are pretty much the same.
How/When acquired: Paid $0.31/card for 3 3-pack blister packs of Bowman in May 2012.

Card #5219
2004 Donruss Timelines Call to the Hall #24 Steve Carlton
Comments on the card: Did you guess that there are autographed and relic versions of this card? I hate it when the base card has a giant blank space where the relic or autograph goes.
How/When acquired: Paid $2.99 on eBay in March 2005.

Card #14081
2009 Topps 206 #86 Kurt Suzuki
Comments on the card: Topps 206 was, for me, the most anticipated set of 2009. I'm sad to say that I was disappointed. What I hated the most was the fake smudge on the back of the card to make it look old. It wasn't the smudge itself, but the fact that each card had the exact same fake smudge.
How/When acquired: Paid $0.44/card for a hobby box on eBay.

Card #7367
1973 Topps #486 Danny Ozark
Comments on the card: I love the design on this 1973 manager/coaches card. And I love that the coaches also appear. I made a trip to Florida spring training with a friend in 2005. We met Billy De Mars (who was the Phillies batting coach) in 1973. He told us all about how he had 'fixed' Mike Schmidt's swing.
How/When acquired: I don't know when I acquired this but it was probably in the early 1990s and probably at a flea market.

Card #11798
2006 Upper Deck #946 Cole Hamels
Comments on the card: One of the last good Upper Deck designs before they went in the toilet. Good photo of Cole in his rookie season.
How/When acquired: I got this as a gift from friend-of-the-blog Max.

Card #21846
2001 Upper Deck #236 Randy Wolf
Comments on the card: Another nice simple design from Upper Deck, although I don't quite like how the photos fade into a gray bar on the left. Reminds me of a camera I used to own that leaked light.
How/When acquired: Paid $0.18/card for an Upper Deck blaster box in November 2000. Remember when Topps and Upper Deck released their base sets in time for Christmas?

Card #26053
1992 Star Platinum #59 Jeff Bagwell
Comments on the card: Star International produced a lot of sets featuring individual players, teams and minor league players in the late 80s and early 90s. I have a bunch from repacks. Many of them are pretty hard to identify. They are pretty hard to look up on Beckett.com. I believe this was a set featuring Bagwell. I also have #55 and 60 which feature Bagwell.
How/When acquired: Don't know.

Card #40691
2013 Topps Chasing History Silver Holographic Foil #74 Stan Musial

Comments on the card: Speaking of confusing, I was never quite clear what is going on with this Topps insert set. I believe there are 4 versions of this card, silver, silver holographic, gold and gold holographic.
How/When acquired: Paid $0.16/card for a 36-card rack pack in June 2013.

No comments: