Monday, January 28, 2013

2005 Topps All-Time Fan Favorites

All-Time Fan Favorites was a set produced by Topps from 2003-2005. It featured past players on cards with designs which were contemporary with their careers. These were not, however, reprints, but featured new photographs. I had purchased a few packs of this product back in 2005 but recently went looking for some set inserts on eBay.

The set featured a lot of different designs, including designs that you don't see often in other similar Topps sets.
For example, 1991 Topps with the 40th anniversary logo. I happen to like this design.

Or 1990 Topps, which I don't much care for. I guess in another 30 years or so we'll be seeing this in Topps Heritage. I'll be over 90 years old then so I probably won't care.

There are a handful of non-players in the set,
like New York Yankees play-by-play man Michael Kay.

The 1951 Topps design is another you don't see too often. As I was looking for relics and autos from the set I saw this and had to have it.

This is the 1978 Topps design. Note that the stats on the back go through 1981 after which Boone left the Phillies. Here's Boone's actual 1978 card to illustrate the different photos.
The sets always featured chrome refractors. I just bought this one on eBay.

The autographed and relic cards were pretty pricey on eBay. I was lucky to find a Phillies auto at a reasonable price.
Notice that the auto is on-card. Lonnie Smith had a pretty amazing career. He had a 17-year career and played in 5 World Series with 4 different teams. He has 3 World Series rings, including the Phillies 1980 World Series win.

The relic cards do not feature a past year design.

The relics are numbered to 200.

No comments: