Sunday, March 25, 2012

Song of the Week - Love Song For the Dead Che - The United States of America



When I saw this CD in my local library I could hardly believe it. The United States of America was a dimly remembered band from the psychedelic era. Their single eponymous album was released in 1968 and got a lot of air play on the various so-called "underground" radio stations operating in Philadelphia at the time (WMMR, WDAS, etc.). I never knew much about the band and since they disappeared almost immediately, there wasn't much to know. Here's what Wikipedia has to say about them.

This song of theirs just popped up on iTunes so I went and looked on YouTube. I'm sorry there's no video but this band came and went so fast that I'm willing to bet there is no video of them available. Most of their songs are available on YouTube. If you want a real taste of late 1960s pyschedelia, try "The Garden of Earthly Delights".

No comments: