Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Upper Deck Goodwin Champions Memorabilia and Autograph

I had bought one blaster box of 2011 Upper Deck Goodwin Champions during the summer last year. I was pretty happy with the cards, but as is often the case these days, the box did not have an relic or autographed cards. I went on eBay a few weeks ago to see what I could find.

I'm not much of a basketball fan. Hakeem played most of his career with Houston Rockets (1984-2002). We moved to Houston in 1995, just in time to catch the 1995 basketball play-offs when the Rockets won their second championship in a row. My boys and I got real caught up in the series but it didn't turn me into any more of a basketball fan.

Dr. J started his career in the American Basketball Association. When the leagues merged he ended up on the Philadelphia 76ers where he played from 1976 to 1987. I actually bought 2 copies of this card, one as a birthday present for another ex-pat Philadelphian, who loves b-ball, was a great fan of the ABA and idolizes Dr. J.

I thought I ought to find a few baseball players. Since Upper Deck doesn't have a license for MLB nor with the Players Association, I wasn't surprised that all I saw was minor league players. Skipworth was the Marlins #1 draft pick in 2008 but hasn't made it to the majors as yet.

The Rockies #1 pick in 2010 who also hasn't made it to the majors. I guess there's a chance that one of these guys will make it big and I'll be even happier with these cards.

I wasn't paying much attention to the relic swatches but I see that I managed to get 4 cards, each with a different color swatch.

I only bid on one autograph. Garcia was the Dodgers #8 draft pick in 2009. I like that the auto is on-card.

These cards were reasonably priced. I paid about $20, including postage, for the lot.

No comments: