Thursday, July 21, 2011

2011 Summer Clearance Trade with Madding and final wrap-up

All good things have to come to an end. It's the official end of the 2011 Summer Clearance Trade. I expect a trade or two more from latecomers but I'm going to wrap up the stats now. Last year I sent our 611 cards to 11 people. I got 241 cards back, of which, I needed 118. So 44% of the cards I got back I needed. I was pretty happy with that.

This year I sent out 1,000 cards to 12 people. I got 851 cards back. Amazingly, 44% of them, or 378, were cards I needed. I'm even happier with this year's trade. To put it in another perspective, it cost me about $31.50 to mail all those cards. 378 cards works out to about 8 cents/card. No way I could have gotten all of these cards for 8 cents each on eBay.

The last post are cards from Madding at Cards On Cards. You can see some of what I sent him here. I'm really happy with what I got from him, especially the first cards up.

1978 O-Pee-Chee #42 Greg Luzinski
This card puzzled me at first. There is no Topps logo on the front and the back is a weird brown. Then I noticed the French on the back. It's a 1978 O-Pee-Chee! I never saw ones of these before. And Madding sent me 4 Phillies from the set. Thanks!

1988 Topps Big #67 Juan SamuelCards from this set aren't hard to come by, in fact, as I'm writing this, you can buy the entire set on eBay for $6. I get most of my 1980s cards these days in repacks and you're not going to find an over-sized card like this in a repack.

1993 Upper Deck #247 John KrukI thought I had the entire Phillies set from 1993 Upper Deck, but I was missing this Kruk card. This card is my nomination for the Dirtiest Uniform on a Baseball Card Award.

1993 Milk Bone Super Stars #20 Craig BiggioI love these cards which used to be packaged with food products. This set was produced by Michael Schechter Associates, aka MSA. They produced cards included in Post cereals, Pepsi and other products. MSA had a contract with the Player's Association but not with Major League Baseball. I'll bet that Player's Association logo hat that Biggio is wearing was a popular item.

2007 Upper Deck Holiday Inn #35 Carlos LeeThis set got added to Baseballcardpedia.com just a few weeks ago. I'd never heard of it. If you stayed at a Holiday Inn during a specific 2-month period in 2007, you got a cellophane pack with 4 cards from this 60-card set. What a long, strange trip that would have been to complete the set.

2009 SP Authentic #199 Ryan HowardI have very few cards from this set and only one Phillie. This card looks like and insert but it's actually a subset.

2011 Topps #421 Domonic BrownI had most of the Phillies from 2011 Topps but not this one. Here's hoping this guy turns into a great player.

2011 Topps Heritage #72 Chase Utley and Jimmy RollinsThis is the last Phillies card from this set that I needed.

No comments: