Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Another Fistfull of Bagwells

I've been complaining almost since I started this blog about the lack of baseball card stores in the Houston area. There are no stores within easy driving from my house. I've known about a store over on the west side of town but never got over there. Well, now I work over near there so I stopped in the store today. Pretty nice. Having nothing in mind, I went through his Bagwell's and pulled these 9 cards out. I paid about what I would expect to pay for Bagwell cards in the Houston area. I'd have bought more if I had known he was going to cut the price in half when I paid. The store is the Houston Sports Connection. Here's what I got.

1992 Donruss McDonald's MVPThese cards were available from McDonald's Restaurants in Ontario Canada. They look very much like the regular issue 1992 Donruss. The photo on the front is different from the Donruss card but the photo on the back is the same.

1992 Upper Deck Home Run Heroes
I didn't have any of these. This 26 card set was inserted 1 per low number jumbo pack.

1992 MooTown Snackers
These cards were found in Sargento Cheese products. They were produced by Michael Schechter Associates who made a lot of these kinds of cards in the early 1990s. MSA had a license from the Player's Association but not with MLB so no logos. There is a facsimile signature on the pack justifying the "Signature Series" designation. The cards has a perforated attachment which has a checklist and a mail-in offer. You could get the whole set for $6.95 and three UPCs from Sargento products. The 2007 Sports Digest catalog lists the set at $7.50. Not much of a return on investment. Here is the checklist.
This is a great checklist as far as I'm concerned. In 1992 I was collecting all of these players with the exception of Felix Jose and Kevin Mass (did anyone collect Kevin Maas?). I still collect these players except I've dropped Jose Rijo.

I now have 32 1992 Jeff Bagwell cards. According to Beckett there are 106 Bagwell cards for 1992. I seem to have all the major releases.

1997 Ultra Top 30
This was a 30-cards insert in 1997 Ultra, one per Series 2 packs. I already had the Ryne Sandberg and Roberto Alomar.

1998 Leaf Rookies and Stars
This was a 339-card set featuring, well, you figure it out.

1998 Metal Universe Universal Language
A 20-card insert set to Metal Universe inserted 1:6 packs. I had the Nomar Garciaparra. The cards have no finish with some gold foil. They are also die cut. Nice looking cards actually.

1998 Sports Illustrated
This is the Legends of Today subset. I have exactly 19 cards from the 1998 Sports Illustrated set but have managed to collect cards from 5 of the subsets. This is one I didn't have

2000 UD Ionix Shockwave
Upper Deck UD Ionix was only issued in 1999 and 2000. It is a weird set. The graphics are strange and it has a funny coating. The coating is refractive (although you can't see it in this scan) and is soft so the cards feel sort of sticky. The 2000 set had a couple of interesting insert sets. This isn't one of them.

1 comment:

Tom said...

I might have to visit this store one of these days. Thanks for the tip.