Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Has anybody done any business with ThePit.com?

Back in 2004, I received in a hobby box of Bowman a certificate to redeem for an uncirculated gold card of this guy, Alberto Callaspo, registered at ThePit.com. What is an uncirculated card you might ask? Aren't all cards fresh out of a pack "uncirculated". I actually have one of these in my possession. The card comes in a plastic case, sort of like a graded, slabbed card except its not really sealed. Keeping it in the case maintains its uncirculated aspect (I guess).

At the time, this didn't seem like too much of a great deal. To actually get the card, I would have to pay to have it shipped to me. So I've left it there and haven't paid much attention to it.

Callapso made it to the majors in 2006 and has played 153 games in 3 years. He's been up and down, even spending some time in 2008 in the minors. According to Beckett, an uncirculated gold card is worth 44 times the base card which would make this card worth about $13.

At ThePit you can send them cards to put in your account. Then you can sell your cards through them and buy other cards through them. Apparently people do this although I don't see any sense it it. Today, for grins, I decided to look up my valuable holding. According to ThePit, someone has paid as much as 55 cents for a copy of this card. There is a current bid for 15 cents.

For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to get them to send me the card. I sent them an email and they answered me pretty quick with instructions. According to their instructions, the cheapest I could get it shipped would be $5.00 for UPS ground. If I wanted it tomorrow, it will cost me $35. Maybe I should just sell it and cash out my 15 cents. I'm afraid there is a fee for selling and I'll end up owing them money for a card I never had.

1 comment:

Motherscratcher said...

Jeez, $5 minimum to ship one card? That seems a little off. I laughed when you came to the conclusion that, no matter what you do, you will have to spend money on a card you never wanted.

I guess your best option is to leave it out in the ether.