Sunday, November 30, 2008

Song of the Week - Requiem (the Fifth) by Trans-Siberian Orchestra

I have 5,838 songs in iTunes. This is one of them.

The Trans-Siberian Orchestra was founded in 1996. You may know them from their Christmas music. They've released 4 Christmas albums. In 2000, they release their only non-Christmas album, called Beethoven's Last Night, a concept piece about, you guessed it, Beethoven's last night on earth. The songs tell a story but it's difficult to tell exactly what the story is about. A young female orphan is involved somehow but the Wikipedia article on Beethoven mentions nothing about such a person. My classical education is sadly lacking so I don't really know much about his life. He did apparently die during a thunderstorm as this video says.

The album is pretty bombastic with a very deep voiced male vocal. I bought it on a whim and I'm not sure I really like it. But iTunes threw this up as a possibility and the video is a hoot.

No comments: