Friday, November 11, 2016

Players I Collect - 2016 continued

In the last post I got through Willie Mays, so we're about halfway through the alphabet. Let's get going with Mark McGwire.

Mark McGwire

Topps MLB Debut Medallion Series 2

These cards came as a bonus in Topps blasters from Target or Walmart. The 'medallion' is pretty hefty making the card too thick to put into an album sleeve. I've got a couple of these and I'm not sure what to do with them. Until 2013, McGwire post-season cards were pretty scarce, following his admission to using PEDs during his career. But the number has picked up since 2013. I guess he's suffered enough.  I have 232 McGwire cards but this is the only 2016 card I have.

Joe Morgan

Topps Archives

I think when most people think of Joe Morgan they remember him with the Reds. But he spent 9 years with the Astros prior to the Reds and another year after the Reds. 10 years altogether of his 22-year career. He also played for the Phillies in 1983, the team called the "Wheeze Kids" who made it to the World Series in 1983. I have 36 Joe Morgan cards, including his 1966 rookie card and all his Phillies cards.

Eddie Murray

Stadium Club

Murray was elected into the Hall of Fame in 2003 but I've been collecting his cards since I started collecting in 1985. The new Stadium Club includes a number of former players into the sets. I have 124 Eddie Murray cards, including a number from the 1980s.

Stan Musial

Topps Bunt

Topps Bunt again to the rescue, the only Musial card I got this year. I have 106 Stan the Man cards, the bulk of which are the entire 60-card Leaf Heroes of Baseball Musial Milestones set from 2015.

Rafael Palmeiro

Topps 100 Years at Wrigley





Topps Archives
 Palmeiro retired in 2005, and except for a few 2006 cards, I didn't see a post-career card of his until 2013. Another guy with PEDs issues during his career. I have 186 of his cards, Including many from during his career.

Mike Piazza

Topps Bunt
Piazza played from 1992-2007. I have 238 of his cards, the bulk from during his career. Elected into the Hall of Fame just this year and well deserved.

Yasiel Puig

Bowman

Topps

Topps Archives

Topps Allen & Ginter Mini

Topps Bunt

Topps Opening Day
As many people did in 2013, I bought into the Puig hype. Untamed erratic talent with unlimited potential.  Cuban defector with a 7-year, $42 million contract. He's spent much of the last two seasons hobbled by hamstring issues. It's also not clear that he's ever going to reach that projected potential. I hope that with injuries behind him, he'll have a monster season next year. I have 35 of his cards.

No comments: