Saturday, January 17, 2009

More cards in the mail

When I started this blog my intention was to feature items from my various collections such as baseball cards, bonsai plants, music, post cards, etc. But as time goes on, the blog has steadily been taken over by baseball cards. Of all my collections I spend most of my time on the baseball cards so I suppose that's fitting. Several people have sent me cards in the mail this week for one reason or another. Here are some from Patricia and Lucy at Dinged Corners. If you stick through to the end there's a card from Steve at wait 'til next year. I also got a nice selection of Astros and Phillies from John at The Pursuit of 80's(ness) and Eric which I hope to get up next week.

Patricia and Lucy have a knack for sending me Phillies cards that I don't have. They send me 12 cards, and I didn't have 10 of them. I have a lot of Phillies cards. This first one is a Mike Schmit from the 1987 Topps Glossy Send-In set. To get this set you had to send in (mail back) a promo card from 1987 Topps. I don't know why I never did. I now have 23 Schmidt cards from 1987.
Up next is a 2007 SP Legendary Cuts. When I first saw it, I thought I had it. Turns out I have the other 4 Phillies from this set but not this one.
This is from the 2003 Topps Traded set. David Bell wasn't a Phillie for long and barely made an impression on me, but this is a nice looking card.
Only one Astro in the lot, Lance Berkman. An Upper Deck X Die Cut. I had the base card. I always like to get parallel cards to go with the base.
And also Cole Hamels, again I had the base card.
Cole Hamels, Upper Deck Baseball Heroes Black. Another parallel. This one I didn't have the base. I kind of like these cards. The parallel cards are all in attractive colors.
And last but not least, a 1966 Topps Joe Morgan card. Steve was looking for 3 1991 Fleer Pro-Vision cards to fill out the set and I had them (duplicates no less). I offered them to him for anything off my want list. This card is nowhere near any of my want lists but I like it anyway. I always liked Joe Morgan as a player but I didn't start collecting cards until very late in his career so I don't have many of his cards. Now I can say I have at least 1 card from each decade of his career. Into a binder it goes.

No comments: