Thursday, July 31, 2014

2013 Upper Deck Goodwin Champions John Barrymore

John Barrymore, the grandfather of actress Drew Barrymore, was a pretty big actor in the first half of the 20th century. Upper Deck included a card of Barrymore in it's 2013 Goodwin Champions set. I got it in a blaster box I bought last week. I had bought a hobby box of this product last year and liked it. I'm about halfway through the blaster and no duplicates yet.

Anyway, here's that Barrymore card.

I'm pretty sure all these cards are paintings based on photographs. I thought there was something funny about Barrymore's right hand in this painting. It looked like it was missing a cigarette.

Google image search is a wonderful thing. It didn't take long to find the original photo.

 Sure enough, one cigarette excised. The artist did something funny with the face of the guy just behind Barrymore's left shoulder.

1 comment:

--David said...

I wonder if that is a spoof of the whole botched "Jesus Fresco" the year before that. If you forget, an elderly woman tried to restore a canvas with Jesus on it and it turned out hideous!. In fact, the face on the card almost looks like the botched job itself.