Monday, July 28, 2014

2013 Topps Allen and Ginter $11.98 blaster

I know we're all agog over 2014 Allen and Ginter but I found a 2013 blaster at Walmart the other day for only $11.98. Since I only had bought a couple of blasters last year I snatched it up. I'd have bought 2 if there had been another one on the shelf.

Of the 47 cards in the box, I needed 37 of them. So was there anything special?

Well, there was this:


Looks like I could have gotten this card on eBay for about 10 bucks, so already I'm ahead.

Some other highlights:

The 6th grader in me still loves to get a card with a pretty girl on it.

I don't have many post-career cards featuring Fergie.

This card reminds me of an old stupid joke. A horse walks into a bar. The bartender says, "Hey, why the long face"?

You can never go wrong with a Nolan Ryan card.

The only Phillie in the box. It will go nicely with the full sized Lee.

 Remember learning about the giant Red Spot on Jupiter? Apparently, it's now the Big Blue Spot. This is the exact same picture from the Jupiter Wikipedia page, only colored blue for some reason. By the way, this is a composite photo made from images from the Cassini spacecraft.

An insert mini I didn't have. At first I though this was a joke, or part of the 2013 code contest, but the place has a Wikipedia entry.

And finally:

I now have 2 of these. According to Beckett.com, this is an uncorrected error (UER) card but they also list (with a picture) the same card with the biographical text you expect on the back. What kills me about this is not only is the text missing, it says "Text Missing" on the back. baseballcardpedia.com does not explicitly mention this card. For card #130 it just says "Pel?"

No comments: