Wednesday, April 23, 2008

2008 Topps Moments & Milestones - Let's Trade!

I don't usually have enough baseball card money to buy a box of premium cards but this year my baseball card fund is flush and I decided to bid on a box of 2008 Topps Moments & Milestones on eBay. I got the box for $71.00 which didn't seem too bad. This works out to just 65 cents/card. I think the cards are very nice. Heavy stock, nice designs, not too glossy, not too much silver foil. The gimmick with this set is that every card is serial numbered. In theory, that means that every card is limited in edition. That's the theory. The reality is different. The base set is numbered to 150. The card shown is #96/150. But note the big number at the bottom of the card. This is card 142 and honors the 201 strikeouts that Matsuzaka had last year. The card shown specifically honors strikeout number 123. There are 150 cards numbered 1 to 150 with the big 123 on the front. There are also 150 serial numbered cards with a big 1 on the front, and 150 with a big 2 on the front. You get the drift, there are 201 times 150 or 30,150 versions of card #142. I've got 4 of them. This looks to be a tough set for a set collector to complete. There is also another set of these numbered to 25 and a third numbered to 10. There may be more but that's all I saw in my box. I still like the cards even with this gimmick and I'm not a set collector anyway. My problem is what I got in the box.

There were 108 cards in the box. There are 189 cards in the set. Of the 108 cards I got, 37 of them were duplicates (like I said, I got four of card 142). Of course, in this set there are no real duplicates. What I mean is that of the 189 cards in the set, I didn't get 131 of them. I don't necessarily want all of the cards in the set but there are 22 card numbers that I want. I've got 31 cards I'm willing to trade. Send me an email and I'll send you a list of what I'm willing to trade and a list of what I'm looking for.

No comments: