Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Where Are They Now? - Brien Taylor

The hottest rookie card in 1992 was this.

Taylor was the Yankees #1 draft pick in 1991. He signed a $1.55 million contract with the Yankees right out of high school. He also signed an exclusive contract with Topps so this would be his only rookie card.  He would never pitch in the major leagues. I had never really understood what had happened to him until I saw a news story about him last week.

He was doing well in the Yankees farm system until he got into a fist fight in 1993 that caused severe damage to his left shoulder. He was never the same after surgery. Although he hung on in the minors until 2000, he never pitched higher than AA.

He's had a troubled life since leaving baseball, culminating with selling a large amount of cocaine to an undercover agent in March 2012. He was sentenced to 38 months in prison in August 2012.

2 comments:

Fuji said...

One of the greatest busts in sports history. I'm still chasing down the 1992 Topps Gold autograph of him... the one inserted into those factory sets.

Agen Ibcbet said...

After read a couple of the articles on your website these few days, and I truly like your style of blogging. I tag it to my favorites internet site list and will be checking back soon. Please check out my web site also and let me know what you think. Agen Sbobet