Monday, August 6, 2012

2012 Topps Allen & Ginter - Second Look

I posted some cards a few weeks ago after I had bought two blaster boxes of A&G. I've since acquired a hobby box. Here are a couple more inserts and few new cards.

2012 Topps Allen & Ginter Guys In Hats #7 Mortarboard
This 10-card set features guys in hats! Other cards have a bowler, a boater, a fedora, a fez, a pith helmet, a top hat, a flat cap, a garrison cap and a bigorne. I'm glad I pulled the mortarboard because this isn't just any guy in a hat, it's Nobel-Prize winning chemist Linus Pauling. Don't believe me? Check out the Wikipedia entry for mortarboard.

2012 Topps Allen & Ginter Mini Musical Masters
Mozart was only 35 years old when he died.

The hobby box promised 3 "hits".

2012 Topps Allen & Ginter Framed Relics Bobby Abreu
The framed relics look pretty much like they have since 2006. The frame this year is a dark brown with an ornate border similar to the borders on the cards. I got a home jersey here.

2012 Topps Allen & Ginter Framed Relics Rick Porcello
An away jersey here.

2012 Topps Allen & Ginter Framed Relics Max Scherzer
And another home jersey and another Tiger. If anyone is interested in one of these Tigers I'll entertain a trade for a Phillie Jersey card from the set. I'll also entertain a Phillies autograph card since I didn't get any autos in the box.

And here's a few base cards.


2012 Topps Allen & Ginter #247 Hank Aaron
I haven't made any attempt to check but my impression is that there are more past players in the set this year. This is the first appearance of Hank Aaron in Topps Allen & Ginter.

2012 Topps Allen & Ginter #345 Nolan Ryan
Ryan's first appearance in A&G since it's inaugural year in 2006. He appeared as an Angel in that set. In 2006, A&G was going for 26 cents/card. This year I've paid 46 cents/card. I really like this card because of the colorful Astros uniform from when Ryan played for them.

2012 Topps Allen & Ginter #283 Dale Webster
It wouldn't be Allen & Ginter without some goofy looking character. The back identifies him as the "ultimate California surfer dude". He holds the record for surfing on consecutive days, 10,407. I'll do the math for you, that's over 28 years!  It's also my impression that there are fewer non-baseball players in the set.

2012 Topps Allen & Ginter #232 Katie Upton
 It also wouldn't be Allen & Ginter without at least one babe card. You can hardly do better than the 2012 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue cover model. She is probably not related to the baseball Upton brothers (B. J. and Justin) who, on the night I'm writing this post, both hit their 100th career home runs on the same day.



No comments: