Friday, October 17, 2008

Thursday Night at the Movies - City of Ember

This is a movie, that as far as I can tell, has received no buzz. It opened this week but I never heard of it until last last week, when one of the stars, Tim Robbins was on The Daily Show. Bill Murray, who is also in it, appeared on Letterman last week as well but I missed that. Martin Landau is also in the movie. Bu the real stars are the two young actors Harry Treadaway and Saoirse Ronan. The movie is based on the 2003 novel City of Ember written by Jeanne Duprau. The book is young adult fiction. My daughter, who wants to be a librarian specializing in young adult fiction had read it, liked it so came to the movie with us. The plot synopsis is simple enough. The City of Ember was buried 200 years ago to save a remnant of humanity from some disaster. After 200 years, the citizens of Ember have forgotten their origins and the city, especially the great generator which supplies power, is breaking down. It is up to two teenagers (Treadaway and Ronan) to find a way out of the city. I wouldn't hesitate to bring a kid as young as 8 or 9 to see this movie. But its not a kiddy movie. Lots of adult themes, like resignation, hope, love, loyalty and betrayal are explored.

The reviews I read were mostly not very enthusiastic but nobody seems to hate it. One called it the family movie of the year. We liked it and I'd recommend it.

1 comment:

deal said...

Thanks for the movie review this is a movie I am sort of intereted in - and interesting to hear your take.