Sunday, October 5, 2008

Song of the Week - Tonight the Streets Are Ours by Richard Hawley

I have 5,541 songs in my iTunes. This is one of them.

I never listen to music on the radio anymore and I pretty much can't stand to watch music video shows (I can't understand how kids can watch these shows since they have so many commercials), so where do I hear new music? One good source is podcasts. I currently subscribe to Minnesota Public Radio's Song of the Day podcast and the KEPX Song of the Day podcast. KEPX is a public radio station operating out of the University of Washington in Seattle. There is a lot of great music being made by people I never heard of and I get some of it delivered right to my computer everyday for free. You can easily find either of these by doing a Google search. Every once in awhile, when the podcast bin starts to get full, I listen to the first 30 seconds or so of the song. If it grabs me, I keep it, if not, I dump it. I tend to keep most of the songs. I sometimes change my mind on subsequent listening, then I dump it.

Richard Hawley is a British singer who's been working since the mid-1990s in various bands and solo efforts. The song is a great pop tune which sounds like a lot of other great pop tunes but plesently so. You can read his Wikipedia entry here. If I had to guess, I'd say that Hawley wrote the entry himself. The video is just about incomprehensible to me.

No comments: