Thursday, March 24, 2016

2016 Topps MLB Wacky Packages

Back in 2014 I bought a pack of Topps Wacky Packages Chrome Stickers (see it here). There was one baseball related card in the pack. Now, Topps has a whole Wacky Packages set devoted to baseball. And it's a hoot. I bought one blaster and I may go get another.  I'm only going to post my favorites lest I have my readers groaning too much.

The first 60 stickers feature every MLB team, two stickers for each. Here's my favorite team sticker.

This is just about perfect. There's two in the package, one for you and one for your teammatey!. "I pitch, therefore Eye-Patch". "...keep one eye on the ball". And the warning label on the side against wearing a patch over both eyes.

The back of each sticker is 1/9th of a puzzle depicting one of the cards in the set. This one is for Giants Magic Beans. I didn't get enough cards to show more than 4 or 5 of the backs together.

A number of stickers show minor league teams, one card per team.





Some of these didn't make much sense to me until I looked up the team. The Lake Monsters play in Vermont, thus the maple syrup reference. And it's maple bat syrup. According to Wikipedia maple is displacing ash as the favorite wood for bats. I didn't know that. I can't quite figure out which card is on the back.

And finally, perhaps my favorite.




The last 10 cards feature baseball park food. "They'll never make it to the plate", I love it. The back of this card seems to be the card for "Chuckin' Strips".

Of course its can't be a baseball card product without multiple parallel sets. I got several of the "Gray" and "Green Turf" parallels. There are apparently "Gold" and "Sepia" ones as well. Here's a Green Turf one so you can see the Giants Magic Bean card in its entirety.

I pulled one of the Astros stickers from the box. I bought the other one, the two Phillies ones and the Phillies minor league team, the Iron Pigs, on eBay. So I might have another post for this product.

1 comment:

acrackedbat said...

I haven't decided whether or not to buy these. They are certainly humorous. Bench Fries - love it!