Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Card Show Finds #1 - 1952 Topps

There is a major card show in the Houston area twice a year. I haven't been to it in a few years
because I seem to always hear about it too late. But this year, I made it to the first one. My daughter, who is always looking out for my benefit, found a flyer for the show at her comics store.

I ought to be able to get a few posts from my trip.

I had exactly one 1952 Topps card prior to this show, now I have three, and one of them is a Phillies card.

I've posted this one before.

1952 Topps #55 Bob Boone

I got this in 2008 on eBay for a few reasons. It gave me at least one card for the 3 generations of Boones to have played in MLB; It was an inexpensive 1952 Topps cards (considering it's not in great shape; and it's a black back variation.

At the card show I got this.

1952 Topps #149 Dick Kryhoski

Dick Kryhoski? Yeah, I never heard of him either. But it is in reasonably good shape, and the player was with the St. Lewis Browns. I did not have any Browns cards in my collection. When I got it home I also realized that the card is the "usual" variation of 1952 Topps, on white card stock with the red banner on the back.

I also got this.

1952 Topps #221 Granny Hamner





My first 1952 Topps Phillies card. It's badly cut but otherwise in good shape. It's also the other 'usual' variant of 1952 Topps, on gray cardboard with a red banner on the back.

These two cards, along with some other older Phillies cards came from the first dealer I encountered after coming through the door.

The show was at the NRG Arena. You may be familiar with NRG Stadium, where the Texans play (Super Bowl LI) will be there. The NRG Arena is located in what used to be called The Astrodomain. The old Astrodome (no they haven't torn it down yet, nor have they figured out what to do with it yet) and several other convention spaces are located there in a sea of parking spaces. It was a pretty busy weekend there with the card show, an RV show, a home show and something else all going on at the same time.  NRG, by the way, is an energy company located in Houston.

1 comment:

Fuji said...

Nice pickups. I really should go out and buy me at least one 1952 Topps card for my collection. Seems like the "collector" thing to do.