Tuesday, May 26, 2015

2015 Topps Gypsy Queen Relics

Since I don't buy anything more than a blaster or two of most products, my chances of getting a relic are slim. I figure it's cheaper to buy individual relic cards on eBay. For one thing, a few loose relic cards are cheaper than a whole box and I don't end up with a bunch of base cards I don't want. Also, I can usually find a relic card I actually want, either a particular design or player.

Gypsy Queen has three size relic cards in this year's set: mini, regular and jumbo.

I'm pretty sure that Topps started their practice of putting relics on mini cards and then encasing the card in a normal sized card covered with plastic. They leave an opening in the plastic so you can touch the relic, and I suppose, the player, at a remove. They've continued the practice with Allen and Ginter and Gypsy Queen.  here are a lot of these available on eBay so I decided to go with an Astro.

Singleton was drafted by the Phillies in 2009. The Astros got him in the Hunter Pence trade in 2011. In 95 games last year, Singleton hit 13 home runs but only batted .168. He's back in AAA hitting .291 with 14 home runs in 42 games. The Astros are playing pretty well with the players they have so I don't see Singleton coming up anytime soon unless somebody gets hurt.

There are also a lot of the regular sized relics. I couldn't find an Astro or a Phillie at a price I wanted to pay but finally found this.


I figure I might as well go with a future Hall of Famer. Kershaw seems to be off to a rocky start in 2015. He's 2-3 with a 4.32 ERA. This is coming off a 21-3 season with a 1.77 ERA.

There weren't a lot of the jumbo relics available.

This is the gold parallel card, numbered to 25. I figure it's worth the $9.99 (with free shipping) I paid.


No comments: