Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Trade for Mike Schmidt cards

This all started after my post about 2003 Topps Series 2 cards a few weeks ago. Jim contacted me because he only needed 3 cards to complete the set. Alas, I only had one, and he didn't have any duplicate cards from the set that I needed but somehow we settled on the card he needed for a Mike Schmidt card from the 2002 Topps 206 set. There were 2 Schmidt cards in that set and I only had one.

Then Jim suggested we trade Schmidt have lists and see if we could help each other out. He found some duplicates on my list and offered me some duplicates on his list. Here's what I ended up with.

1981 Topps Scratch-Off
I'd never even seen one of these before.

1987 Donruss Pop-Up #17
I have a card from the 1988 version of this set. These came packaged with the over-sized Donruss All-Star cards. You can see the cut-out around Schmidt. The card is designed so that the cut-out folds out and the back unfolds into a stand.

1988 Sportflics #35
I think this is the only regular issue 1980s card of Mike Schmidt that I didn't have.

1988 Topps Wax Box Cards #O
I wasn't buying boxes in those days so these box bottom cards passed me right by. It looks like a regular issue 1988 Topps except for the weird blue tint to the border. It has a different photo than Schmidt's regular Topps card.

2002 Topps American Pie Sluggers Blue 
I had the Joe Carter version of this card so I'd seen on before. Glad to have the Schmidt. I don't have a white (base) version of this card.

2003 Topps Gallery HOF Edition Artist's Proof #50
The 2003 Topps Gallery HOF Edition was a separate set from Topps Gallery. Very nice looking cards, featuring a painting of the player on thick card stock. The Artist's Proof parallel is printed on refractive foil. I have the Jim Bunning base and parallel from this set.


No comments: