Sunday, August 15, 2010

Song of the Week - Listen to the Man by The Monkees

In 1968, NBC broadcast a TV special by the Monkees called "33 1/3 Revolutions per Monkee". If remember it it's because you probably didn't see it. It was only shown on the West Coast opposite the Academy Awards presentation on ABC. Wikipedia has the scoop here.

The entire show is available in 7 clips on YouTube. This is part 6 of 7 and prepresents the last time the Monkees will perform together until 1986.

Be warned that this is extremely strange. The madman playing the organ later in the clip is Brian Auger and the woman howling in the background is Julie Driscol. I featured a video of them here a while ago. It was different times in 1968 when this was made. It is hard to believe that something like this could even be contemplated today.

1 comment:

Hackenbush said...

Wow, that was a wild trip, man! I need an Excedrin. Just me, but I think I would have changed channels and watched the Oscars. Give me, "Last Train to Clarksville" or "I'm a Believer". I may have to check out the rest of the show anyway. Thanks for sharing.