Thursday, May 6, 2010

Robin Roberts

Hall of Fame pitcher Robin Roberts died this morning. He was 83 years old. He broke into the National League as one of the original Phillies Whiz Kids. He played for the Phillies from 1948 through 1961 compiling a 286-248 record with a 3.46 ERA, mostly for Phillies teams that weren't very good. Here is most of my Robin Roberts card collection. I only have one card which was actually issued during his career.

1959 Topps #121999 Sports Illustrated Greats of the Game Autographs
On of my favorite cards. I also have the unsigned version of this card.

2003 Topps All-Time Fan Favorites #8
2003 Topps Shoebox #8
2004 Bowman Heritage Black and White TV #171
2007 SP Legendary Cuts #73
2009 Upper Deck Goodwin Champions Mini #112
April 2005 issue of American Scientist magazine
Longtime Phillies fans will recognize the Ballantine Beer logo on the scoreboard. This issue contained a very interesting article on the physics of throwing a baseball. The article can be found on-line here. The article also features Roger Clemens.
And finally, a photo of me with the Robin Roberts statue at the Phillies Citizen's Bank Ball Park.

2 comments:

deal said...

I had been after that Roberts SI Auto for a while, it will probably be out of my $$ range for a year or two now.

The card information is incorrect on the Roberts-Pierce card. thats a 1959 #156.

Nice Picture w/ the statue. I need to get a shot of that.

capewood said...

Deal, thanks for the correction. I fixed it. I should have spent a little more on better typing fingers.I only paid $12 for the auto card in 2007. There are several auctions for it going on right now.