Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Card Show Finds Part 3 - Random Phillies

More finds from the big Tristar card show in Houston a week or so ago. One dealer had boxes of cards arranged by team. He had a bunch of Phillies cards. I picked up 40 Phillies cards I didn't have. Some of them were even types of cards I didn't have. All the cards were from mid-level to high end sets or inserts. I paid $15 for 40 cards including these.

2005 Bowman Heritage #27 Jon LieberI've liked most years of Bowman Heritage but somehow I completely missed out on the 2005 set. The 2005 set was based on the 1951 Bowman set. I had lots of cards from every other year of Bowman Heritage but none of 2005. In addition to this Lieber card I also get the Jimmy Rollins card. Lieber was 17-13 for the Phillies in 2005. He had signed a $21MM free agent contract in December 2004. After the 2005 season he began to deteriorate, going only 9-11 in 2006 and 3-6 in 2007.

2005 Bowman Heritage Mini Jon Lieber #27
I also got the mini card of Rollins as well. The minis are the size of the original 1951 set.

2001 Pacific Private Stock PS-206 Action #44 Pat Burrell
This was a 60-card insert to the 2001 Pacific Private Stock set. Pacific had a similar mini card insert in 2000. That would be 2 years before Topps produced mini cards in the 2002 Topps 206 set.

2005 Zenith Mozaics #9 Thome/Abreu/Burrell
2005 was the last year that Donruss had a contract with MLB to produce cards. Zenith was their last chance at official excess. The 250-card base set had 61 inserts and parallels. There were 16 cards in this insert set, each one featuring a different team. Why there wasn't a card for every team stumps me. The card is heavy with foil printing.

2005 Topps Gallery #11 Pat Burrell
Another set I didn't have any off. In addition to Burrell I also picked up Abreu and Rollins. I've always liked the Topps Gallery cards of the years I had but I'm not too fond of these.

2008 Topps Triple Threads Emerald #133 Tom Gordon
This is only the third Topps Triple Thread card of any year or type that I've owned. The other two are 2 Steve Carlton cards (the base card and a parallel) from 2006. It's not a set I know much about. This is a parallel (numbered to 240) of the base set.

2006 Topps Finest #124 Brett Myers
Topps Finest is another set that I don't buy much of. I never see it at the local big box stores. Most of the cards from recent years that I are Phillies I've bought on eBay or got in trades. Myers was a free agent after last summer and the Astros have signed him.

2007 Bowman's Best #24 Ryan Howard
Another set I never see for sale anywhere and I think this was the last year for Bowman's Best. This is the only card from this set I have. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with a Ryan Howard card.

No comments: