Sunday, September 20, 2009

Song of the Week - If I Had A Hammer by Peter, Paul and Mary

Since Mary Travers just passed away this week, I guess a Peter, Paul and Mary song is an obvious choice for Song of the Week. There are a number of songs by them available on YouTube but I finally settled on this one. This is probably the first Peter, Paul and Mary song I ever heard. It came out in 1963 when I was 11 years old and it had a big effect on me at the time. Even today I get chills when I hear it. The song was written in 1949 by Pete Seeger and Lee Hays which means this year is the 60th anniversary of the song. I think today, more than ever, we need a hammer of justice, a bell of freedom and a song about the love between my brothers and my sisters all over this land.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Very sad news this week.

deal said...

nice pick - thanks.