Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Virtual Bike Tour of Baseball Sites - Spring Texas

I passed through Spring Texas on my Virtual Bike trip. I'm managing about 6 miles a day on the stationary bike so far. I hope to increase my stamina as I go along. There are going to be some long lonely stretches (say between Dallas and Phoenix). Not surprising, I've actually been to Spring. A part of town is called Old Town Spring and has lots of little shops. I even found an antique store there which sold baseball stuff. Their cards were over priced but I bought a couple of things there that I hadn't seen before.

Spring Texas is the birthplace of Josh Beckett. I've always liked him and collect his cards. Beckett was the Number 1 Draft Pick of the Marlins in 1999. He helped the Marlins win the World Series over the Yankees in 2003. In fact, he was the World Series MVP. Here is one of several relic cards I have, a 2004 Fleer Tradition Diamond Tributes Game Jersey.

in 2005, the Marlins traded him along with Mike Lowell and Guillermo Mota to the Red Sox for Hanley Ramirez, Anibal Sanchez, Harvey Garcia, and Jesus Delgado. He was 20-7 with the Red Sox as the Sox went on to win the 2007 World Series. Beckett was the MVP of the ALCS. This is his 2008 Topps Allen & Ginter card.
The next leg of the trip is Spring Texas to Tomball Texas, a distance of about 15 miles. Tomball is the birthplace of Clay Hensley, pitcher for the Padres. Hey, not every little town can be the home to a big baseball star.

Days riding: 4. Total miles: 25.4. Total time: 1 hr 42 min.

2 comments:

deal said...

good stop, can one get virtual lemonade on a trip to Spring Texas?

looking forward to Tomball.

Anonymous said...

That is really cool that you are doing that. I actually got your blog through Google Alerts. I'm the sports editor for the Tomball Potpourri. I see that you will be virtually heading to the Tomball Cougar baseball field. I was wondering if you would mind me doing a story on you coming over here on your virtual trip. If you're interested, my name is Dustin Bass, just email me at dbass@hcnonline.com. Thanks.